A touch of genius.
It’s faster and more powerful than before, yet remarkably thinner and lighter. It has the brightest, most colorful Mac notebook display ever. And it introduces the Touch Bar(1)—a Multi-Touch–enabled strip of glass built into the keyboard for instant access to the tools you want, right when you want them. The new MacBook Pro is built on groundbreaking ideas. And it’s ready for yours.
The Touch Bar adds the most relevant tools right to your keyboard—changing automatically based on what you’re doing to make it easier than ever to get things done.1 Everything you see on the Touch Bar is familiar, so you’ll know how to use it right away. Choose from shortcuts, emoji, and more with a single touch. Scrub through a video timeline in full screen or tap to browse and edit photos. And for the first time, Touch ID is available on a Mac, enabling instant access to logins and so much more.
The Touch Bar automatically changes depending on what you're doing.
Navigate through your project with an interactive display of your entire timeline.
Select a photo from your library, rotate images and add a filter.
Breeze through your open Safari tabs or touch a Favorite to view a saved site.
Answer your iPhone from the keyboard without moving your cursor.
Select a palette and tap to choose a color for text or objetcs in Pages, Keynote, and more.
Get quick access to formatting options and emoji in apps like Messages and Mail.
Touch ID arrives on Mac.
Now you can unlock your Mac in an instant. Quickly access system settings and locked notes. And even switch between users—all with the touch of a finger.
For your favorite apps and those to come.
The Touch Bar can change how you experience the apps you use every day—including third-party apps. It’s a dynamic canvas that developers can use to add a new dimension to existing and future apps.
The new MacBook Pro takes the notebook to a whole new level of performance and portability. Wherever your ideas take you, you’ll get there faster than ever with cutting-edge graphics, high-performance processors, state-of-the-art storage, and more.
The new display in the MacBook Pro is the best ever in a Mac notebook. It features brighter LED backlighting and an increased contrast ratio, delivering deeper blacks and brighter whites. Its larger pixel aperture and variable refresh rate make it more power efficient than previous generations. And it’s the first Mac notebook to support wide color, for even more vibrant greens and reds. This ensures truer-to-life pictures with realistically vivid details, essential for graphic design, color grading, and editing.
The speakers have been totally redesigned to provide as much as twice the dynamic range and up to 58 percent more volume, with two and a half times louder bass for maximum boom. And they’re connected directly to system power, enabling up to three times more peak power.5 So they make MacBook Pro the perfect choice for mixing a track on the fly, editing video on location, or enjoying a movie on the go.
Interacting with the new MacBook Pro is a better experience all around. The keyboard has been redesigned to include the new Apple-designed, second-generation butterfly mechanism—meticulously refined for greater comfort and responsiveness. And the Force Touch trackpad is significantly larger, giving your fingers more room to gesture and click.⁵
Thunderbolt 3 combines ultra-high bandwidth with the ultra-versatility of the USB-C industry standard to create one revved-up universal port. It integrates data transfer, charging, and video output in a single connector, delivering up to 40 Gbps of throughput for twice the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 2. And both sizes of MacBook Pro are available with four ports, so you can do all that from either side. Existing devices are easily connected with a cable or adapter. And Thunderbolt 3 is reversible, so no matter how you plug in, it’s always right side up.
macOS is the operating system that powers every Mac. It’s engineered to take full advantage of the hardware and designed to be as easy to use as it is beautiful to look at. macOS includes an amazing collection of apps you’ll use—and love—every day. It also features iCloud and other innovative ways for your Mac and iOS devices to work together.
Subject to availability.
1. Touch Bar is available on select models.
2. Testing conducted by Apple in October 2016 using preproduction 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based 15-inch MacBook Pro systems with Radeon Pro 460 graphics, 4GB graphics memory, and a 2TB SSD, and shipping 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based 15-inch MacBook Pro units with Radeon R9 M370X graphics, 2GB graphics memory, and a 1TB SSD. All systems configured with 16GB of RAM. Tested with Autodesk Maya 2017 using a 1.9GB scene. MacBook Pro continuously monitors system thermal and power conditions, and may adjust performance as needed to maintain optimal system operation.
3. Testing conducted by Apple in October 2016 using preproduction 3.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i7-based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems and shipping 3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i7-based 13-inch MacBook Pro units. All systems configured with a 512GB SSD and 16GB of RAM. Tested with FIO-2.14, 1024KB request size, 150GB test file and IO depth=8. MacBook Pro continuously monitors system thermal and power conditions, and may adjust performance as needed to maintain optimal system operation.
4. Testing conducted by Apple in October 2016 using pre-production 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7–based 15-inch MacBook Pro systems with a 256GB SSD and 16GB of RAM; pre-production 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5–based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with a 512GB SSD and 8GB of RAM (wireless web test and iTunes movie playback test); pre-production 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5–based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with a 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM (standby test); and pre-production 2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5–based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with a 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The iTunes movie playback test measures battery life by playing back HD 1080p content with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The standby test measures battery life by allowing a system, connected to a wireless network and signed in to an iCloud account, to enter standby mode with Safari and Mail applications launched and all system settings left at default. Battery life varies by use and configuration. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.
5. Compared with the previous generation.
6. iCloud requires an iCloud-enabled device. Some features require iOS 10 and macOS Sierra. Some features require a Wi-Fi connection. Some features are not available in all countries. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.
7. 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.
TM and © 2016 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.